Thursday, October 19, 2006

What a day!

My daughter and I left home for Buffalo at 9 am. I had a Dr appointment at 11 in downtown. Nine years ago I was diagnosed with melanoma on my thigh. I ended up in Buffalo with Dr K. He has treated people all over the world with melanoma. He is the chief oncology surgeon plus teaches at the University. He removed the tumor, which he called doing a biopsy, on my first visit. I was having a "Stamping Up" party that night and got a friend to be at my house when everyone arrived in case I wasn't home.What a surprise when I came home to a house full of people with a huge hole in my leg. The next visit I found out I needed surgery to make sure the cancer had not spread to the tissue. Luckily it had not spread. I had another scare a couple years later when a mole on my neck was precancerous. Another surgery showed no cancer cells.
I am saying all this to explain why I waited for 3 hours to get in to see the Dr! The good news is I don't have to go back anymore!! After 9 cancer free years it is very unlikely that the cancer will return to that area. Of course, I must have a complete body check by a dermatologist every year but I can handle that!
We never even started shopping until 2:30! We waited in line for about 15 min. at McDonalds, slowed on the Thruway for about 1/2 hour because of a chain reaction accident with 6 or more cars and never got home until after 8! We did find some great bargins tho so it was a good shopping day! Like I said...WHAT A DAY!!

1 comment:

Susie said...

What wonderful news that you are now considered cancer free! That has to be a huge relief...