Friday, October 26, 2007

Show and Tell

Friday and another Show and Tell! Today I'm going to show you more of my beauty shop. I have a whole wall of hair "stuff" that I have collected over the years.
I love the graphics on these hair net packages. Some of the packages still have the human hair and nylon hair nets in them.
The blue object on this shelf is one of the first blow dryers. This one is on a stand that came with it. They were so heavy you couldn't hold it for long. The box holds an old curling iron one of my customers found in their mother's things. On top of the box is an electric crimping iron. We always assume that what is available today is a brand new idea but later I'll show you a crimping iron that had to be heated on the stove. The item on the right must have been made between heating things on the stove and electricity. It is an electric cylinder that you put an iron in to heat it.
The 2 irons that hang are early electric irons. They don't have a thermostat so they aren't much better that the ones that had to be heated.



Thanks Kelli for hosting Show and Tell Friday! Go the Kelli's House to see a list of every involved.

14 comments:

Amy ~ (Life's Small Treasures) said...

What a neat collection!

Thanks for sharing
~Amy

Hootin Anni said...

Oh goodness....I remember hair nets. My grandmother made us wear them when we would be helping her make cookies!!!

Susie said...

Hi Jean,
I remember hair nets:
My Mom would put one over my rollers before I would go to bed. (This was when I was small)
If we went out in public with rollers we had to have a hairnet and then wear a headscarf over that!
xo

Anonymous said...

It must be so fun to find these treasures for your collection.

Mary said...

Hair nets were popular in the 50s and early 60s. Grandma didn't have electricity. She had an old woodstove that she heated her flat irons on for ironing. She also had a curling iron that was heated on the stove and she used that when making her daughter's ringlets in the mornings before they went to school. Maybe Mom has some photos that I can share.

I enjoyed my visit. Thanks so much for sharing these beautiful items out of your collection.

Susan said...

What neat old hair items!!!
Susan

Tammy said...

Now, I learn something new every day...I never knew there were human hair-hair nets! Interesting!

I love your collection, thanks for sharing it with us!

Have a great day!

Carole Burant said...

What a wonderful assortment of vintage hair products...I've always thought the curling irons in those days resembled torture items! lol xox

Are We There Yet? said...

I love the show and tell fridays...and even though some of us have already seen some of this stuff, its fun to see it again.

On another note...I received my package, the things are even cuter in person and thanks for the extra little clips for Kylee.

Thanks again :)

Martha said...

Amazing what we women have done down through the ages to try to look beautiful! Thanks for sharing you vintage hair stuff! I love old things.

Have a great weekend.

Jane

Unknown said...

Yours seems to be a vintage beauty shop. And that early blow drier. My betting it was not thermostat controlled and would get pretty hot! It is all so charming. I must say that I do love the photograph in your blog banner. So charming and nostalgic.

Blessings and bliss - and have a beautiful weekend.

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous collection! The Hairnet package is great!

Anita said...

That was very interesting, thanks for sharing your hair shop treasures with us!

Me too, I adore all kind of such old packages with those kind of vintage pictures!

By the way, I wonder if there are women who still use hair nets nowadays... ???

I didn't have much time for visiting the show & tell participants on Friday so I'm doing so this afternoon:-)

Have a great Sunday - although it's almost over!

Best wishes from Germany,
Anita

maggiegracecreates said...

Love the packages - I have been stopping by but haven't commented in a while - your Jerzie sure is growing up fast - Have a great day.

Teresa