Thursday, October 21, 2010

Fungi

Last week I showed you some odd trees I took pictures of at Allegheny. I also enjoy taking pictures of fungi. For some reason I am fascinated by the shapes, colors and textures.

I have seen fungus that grows like this one but I have never seen the colors before. It really is beautiful!

So many shades of brown, gold and green.

These are quite common but they are also interesting to photograph.

This one looks like a miniature bird bath. Perhaps it belongs to a wood nymph.

Close up of the underside.

At first I wasn't sure what this was but upon closed inspection it appears to be a fungus.

The texture is almost spongy.

This little guy, growing out of a rotting tree, wasn't as big as my little finger. There is barely room for the stem to squeeze out.

All I can say about this one is, I have never seen one like it growing before!

This is what it looks like when it matures.

If you look carefully, you may find some very interesting things growing in the woods!

4 comments:

Rosemary said...

Interesting and amazing.

Karen said...

Hello Jean, wow, you have found some really diverse types of fungi! There are so many different forms you've captured here and I'm always amazed at how they seemingly spring up overnight. (Kinda like Mother Nature's
Halloween decorations, a little bit creepy, aren't they?) I never noticed all the colors in them until your photography pointed it out. Amazing!

Darla said...

I find these interesting as well.

Mary-Frances said...

Great photos, Jean. Love the closeup of the first one, the colours would look nice in a quilt! :)